If you want to start feeding wild birds in your yard and are new to this site then this is where to begin. There are many reasons why people enjoy feeding birds and whatever yours are, there are some things you need to know before you get started.
Now we’re not professionals, we’re just regular people. We love feeding wild birds and have made a website about the hobby to share with others. Nothing you read on here should replace the advice of a professional. We do make mistakes and are occasionally wrong about things.
Having said that, everything you read on this site is either from our own experiences or from research we’ve personally done. This page is meant to be a culmination of some of the most helpful posts on the site for people new to feeding wild birds. Or maybe you’re a seasoned pro and just wanting some new tips…
But before you think about buying your first bird feeder, ask yourself a few questions:
- How much yard, if any, do you have for feeding birds?
- How much time can you dedicate to the filling and maintenance of feeders?
- What types of birds are you interested in seeing?
Just kind of mull those over a little as you’re looking at feeders and considering options…
Bird feeder types and options
Choosing the right bird feeder is important and can be the difference between whether you enjoy this whole feeding wild birds thing or not. Here are a few popular articles on the site that can help you make a good decision.
- The best bird feeders for your backyard
- Best bird feeders for apartments and condos
- The best squirrel proof bird feeders
- Best bird feeders for cardinals
Feeder placement and attracting wild birds
- How to attract birds to a window feeder
- Attracting birds to a bird bath
- How high should a bird feeder be off the ground?
Keeping bird feeder pests away
- How to keep deer away from bird feeders
- How to keep bees out of hummingbird feeders
- Keep away raccoons, opossums, and skunks
- How to get rid of bully birds at bird feeders
Other guides and how-to’s
- How to make all natural, no-boil hummingbird nectar
- How often to clean your hummingbird feeder
- How to save money on bird seed
- Bird seed guide
- How to attract birds without a feeder
- Beginners guide to bird watching
Watch for giveaways
We occasionally do random prize giveaways on the site. For our last giveaway someone won a 12 ounce hummingbird feeder and paperback hummingbird book.
Follow us on Facebook, join our newsletter, and check the site often for the latest prize giveaway.